Did you know that creating a thank you list is one of the key ingredients used in the Law of Attraction? It can be a powerful thing! And it’s one of the easiest ways to attract more abundance into your life right now.
You may be wondering: what would be the point of making such a list? More importantly, how does this really work?
Well, for starters, I would immediately show you all the different things in this beautiful world that you CAN be thankful for, if you wish.
A gratitude list helps you stay focused on what you can be happy and grateful for in the present moment. It changes your mood from one of anxiety and scarcity to one of hope, enthusiasm, joy.
The most important benefit of this exercise is the powerful way in which you can change your perspective from “pessimism” immediately to one where you begin to see all the abundance that is already in your life. It’s certainly a great way to lift your spirits!
Yes, I can hear some of you right now, “But, my life is a fucking mess! I don’t have money to pay the bills, everything is going downhill fast. What can I find to be thankful for?”
I understand where you come from. I was there, I did that. Stinks.
So, here are some things I’ve used on my own gratitude lists in the past to get the ball rolling (and they have nothing to do with buying things, paying bills, or “having more” of something):
- Beautiful sunsets. The setting sun, no matter where it is, can take your breath away with its vibrant colors if you just look at it for a moment.
- Magnificent sunrises. Watch as the sun’s rays begin to peek over the horizon causing the clouds to turn pink, red, orange, and yellow. The clouds look spectacular under the rising sun. Just stop and watch for a few moments. It’s a great way to start your day on a high note.
- Mountain ranges. That’s another picturesque sight that always takes my breath away. Its majestic snow-capped peaks; the roughness of the edges of the cliffs; the intermixed colors of purples, blues, grays and greens. Mountains are inspiring and powerful in many ways.
- Fluffy clouds. Remember how you used to look for shapes in cloud formations as a kid? Try it again! It’s fun and makes your heart feel lighter.
- The stars in the sky at night. Just look at all those billions of stars … and that’s just in our galaxy! There are millions of galaxies with billions of stars and who knows how many planets. Now, there is a great example of abundance in this universe! The beauty of the night sky is an endless wonder when you stop and really look up!
Why would I include these majestic views in my gratitude list instead of everyday “life” stuff?
Because they remind me to be thankful for all the beauty and the multitude of objects that are readily available in this world to truly enjoy anytime I want, things that don’t cost money or involve relationships (triggers that can often lead to depression or illicit anger emotions).
Sometimes what we need is to step out of our narrow world view and take a good look at the beauty and abundance that really surrounds us in every moment, the abundance that we often ignore!
What are the other benefits of a thank you list?
You can use a gratitude list to help you get through a day that may be going wrong. It is designed to divert your attention from the “bad” things and realign yourself with positive energies. Even if it’s for a short period, it can make the whole day look brighter and better.
Other things to be thankful for is having a place to live, than it sounds. YOU HAVE a place to call home. That is important. That is special. It doesn’t matter if it’s a shack in ruins … it’s still a home to protect you from the elements.
And who can say that his “luck” will not start to improve in the future? Everything is temporary … everything!
Be thankful for having something to eat. It may be meager, it may be tasteless … but it IS food. And for those of us who have access to an abundance of food … thank yourselves for having so much variety to choose from!
(Contrary to what your parents have told you, eating all the food on your plate will not help a starving child in Africa in any way, shape, or form. All it will do is put on weight. This is a scarcity mentality. . to go!)
You can be thankful that you have electricity to turn on lights, appliances, and all those electronics that we all love to buy.
And stop complaining about the cost of everything! Money is just an exchange of energy. It is our “barter” system. You are exchanging one item (money) for another (housing, food, utilities, items). ENJOY what you currently have!
Start a gratitude journal
Start writing your own gratitude journal at the end of each day. Any kind of plain paper book will do, it doesn’t have to be fancy. Use a cheap Hilroy laptop if that’s all you can afford.
Start by taking a good look around you and jotting down the things that you are truly grateful to have. As the weeks and months go by, go back and read what you have written. You will be pleasantly surprised by all the things that are already in your life that make you feel really good.
Feeling grateful, participating in joyous emotions, that’s the power behind making these lists work miracles.
Make sure you stop regretting the past or worrying about the future. Be grateful for your life in this immediate moment, because this moment is all you really have. To have more, you need to see how abundant and blessed you already are! That’s what a gratitude list can do for you. Why not try it honestly? It can change your life, but you will never know until you start.